Navigating the Art Industry: Professional Practices for Emerging Artists
This is a unique seminar designed specifically for emerging artists preparing to approach the commercial and public art industry. It is ideal for fine artists of any media pursuing careers in the commercial Vancouver art market or those looking to expand their exhibition repertoire.
Presenter Pennylane Shen has taught full courses in Vancouver, New York and Toronto. This seminar is a condensed introductory session of her 12-week course at Langara College and Thrive Studio, combining theory, industry experience and practical resources for the emerging artist.
- Presentation (portfolio, application letters, CVs, submissions, proposals)
- Approaching the Vancouver market (gallery profiles, current trends and descriptions)
- Alternative exhibition and marketing options (juried exhibitions, non-profit art spaces, group shows)
- Commercial gallery procedures and guidelines (payment, contracts, shipping, framing)
- Promotional Development (publications, websites, social media, biographies)
- Standard Practices (pricing, hanging, framing, documentation, editions, reproductions)